Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lately

I've been really busy working on different projects, but have failed miserably to take pictures, thus I haven't had any posts for some time. In March I met Josh and Rafi, who collectively are Form Los Angeles. They are interior decorators, and they rock. They bought the bed in the previous post, and commissioned me to build a patio coffee table that turned out rad and a side table that was an incredible design but turned into an exercise in frustration for me for a few different reasons, though it still looked amazing when it was finished. Sadly, I failed to take pictures of either of these.

Following that, I built a king bed for this great couple in Silver Lake. The bed has six drawers- three on each side. It more or less follows the same basic design as before, but features a different approach on the drawers, and a different style pull on the drawers. Also, I stepped up my game on the finishing big time. I sanded to 220 grit, oiled, waxed, sanded with 320, and waxed again. The final result was stunning wood beauty.

Following this, I started building another storage bed for a customer in Boston. I just finished it, and it looks incredible, though I now need to figure it out how to get it to Boston, which will be a whole new challenge.

It's basically the same design as before, except I modified the manner in which the night stands attach to the bed. Two long bolts protrude from each bridge piece, extending into the bed and out the other side, where a nut tightens down, fixing the night stand to the bed in a highly secure manner, but also in such a way that the night stands will be easy to take off and put back on for the customer. Also, the finish has the extra touch once again, and I used a new joint style for the drawers, which turned out great. This bed is in cherry with a clear oil, which I think looks incredible.





No comments:

Post a Comment